Friday, April 19, 2013

SF Giants 2000's


Now the next part of the blog about the San Francisco Giants I will be discussing the events and star players for the period of the 2000’s.  I will be specifically be talking about the 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2007 seasons. The Giants really dominated baseball in the very early 2000’s, up to the 2003 season. After the 2003 season, the Giants really struggled up to the 2010 season, due to injuries to key guys such as Barry Bonds and Jason Schmidt.

The 2000 season was the first season where the Giants were at the new ballpark; Pacific Bell Park. This stadium was absolutely gorgeous, as it was considered one of the nicest ballparks in the MLB. Every home game in the 2000 season was basically sold out. This support led the Giants to winning their second division title in four years. The key guys in this season were Jeff Kent; who won the MVP award, and Barry Bonds, of course. Manager Dusty Baker won his third NL manager of the Year award.

 
The 2001 season was truly the season about Barry Bonds. Even though the team didn’t capture any titles or anything, Bonds truly made history this year. The homerun single season record currently was Mark McGwire’s 70 homeruns in one season. Bonds chased this record and eventually broke it. Bonds had 39 homeruns at the All-Star break, which was unbelievable for any player at the time. Bonds that year clubbed 73 homeruns, making him the all-time leader for most runs in a single season. I remember watching this chase as a little kid, as I absolutely loved watching Barry Bonds play. He truly deserved this record as it felt like every game he was either hitting a home run or he was getting intentionally walked so that pitchers would not pitch to him. Watching him get in the minds of pitchers was something truly to watch. This was just the beginning to Bonds’ chase of a homerun record. 2007 was the ultimate prize for Bonds, as I will discuss later. Track all 73 of the homeruns by clicking on this link.

 
 
 
The 2002 season was the season that I as a kid remember the most vividly. This was a remarkable season for the Giants, as I watched them make the playoffs as the Wild Card team and plow through the top teams such as the Atlanta Braves and St. Louis Cardinals to make it to the World Series to battle the Anaheim Angels. This was the first season where both contenders in the World Series were the Wild Card teams and what a series it was! This series shattered numerous offensive records in a classic seven game series. The teams split games one and two and then split games three and four, making the series notched up at two going into game five. Game five was all San Francisco as they crushed the Angels by a score of 16-4. I remember as a child watching every game, as my tensions and emotions were building up as every game was gut wrenching and hard to watch. As a child I had never been into something as much as I was into this series. I watched every game from my grandma’s house and I would be screaming and shouting at the TV as my grandma would be yelling at me and telling me to tone it down because I was being too loud. As a Giants fan, I just couldn’t help myself because I never got to witness such an event as a World Series on TV. I thought the Giants had this series in the bag; until games six and seven rolled around. It was game six and it was the seventh inning and the Giants were up 5-0. My emotions could not be controlled at this point as I thought we were going to celebrate another championship in our storied career. Then Scott Spezio hit a three-run homerun in the seventh to cut the lead to 5-3 going into the eighth inning. I was still confident about my team. Then the Angels collected three runs in the eighth inning to take the 6-5 lead. Then my heart sunk as the Angels took game six. The Angels had the momentum in their favor as game seven was in Anaheim. John Lackey shut the Giants down in game seven as I watched the Angels celebrate on the TV as my team was weeping with tears. I started crying at my grandma’s house as this day was probably one of the saddest days as a child. I did not talk to anyone for the next month as I was so devastated. It felt like the whole world hated me. When a team has angels on their side, anything is possible.  

The 2007 season was a losing season for the Giants. The only positive thing that came out of this season was the ultimate home run chase with Barry Bonds. The all-time current homerun leader in baseball was Hank Aaron with 755 career homeruns, a remarkable number of homeruns. The setting was August 7, 2007, one week from my birthday. The Giants welcomed the Washington Nationals into San Francisco for a dark cloudy night in San Francisco. May I mention I recorded and taped this game. The pitcher for the Nationals was Mike Bacsik. Tensions were rising at AT & T Park as every time Barry came to bat, it was all over MLB Network, Sports Center and just about any sports channel you can think of. No one exactly knew when Bonds was going to hit it, which game he was going to hit it, or even no one even knew if the pitcher was even going to pitch to Bonds; until it happened. It was the fifth inning and Bacsik threw Bonds a fastball right down the middle of the plate and Bonds crushed it into right center field. As soon as he hit it, he knew it, the fans knew, Bacsik knew it, just about anyone who knows baseball knew that Bonds just accomplished the greatest feat in baseball; the homerun record. Bonds stood alone that night as the new homerun king of baseball. He finished his tremendous baseball career with 762 homeruns. This record will be very hard to beat nowadays. My parents still make fun of me to this day as they tell me that Bonds is a cheater and didn’t deserve to win anything and he wasn’t that big when he played for Pittsburgh. The only thing I tell them back is: He hasn’t been proven guilty and that who’s the homerun champ. Follow Bonds’ homerun milestones here.

Bonds' 756

No comments:

Post a Comment